Thursday, June 28, 2018

Victoria and Albert National Art Library and Museum


https://www.vam.ac.uk/info/national-art-library

My favorite destination so far!!! The V&A might just be my favorite place in all of London. And to be honest, this was one of the only tours I've been on that actually seemed relevant and interesting to me because she actually talked about how the library is run, and not just the history of ships or something!

The V&A National Art Library collects  books and publications about art. Or sometimes books that are works of art in themselves. All their books are reference books, so none of them are allowed to leave the library, but many of the materials are considered part of special collections. That includes books that are very old, one of a kind, a work of art in its own right, or donated by a very prominent person. Or maybe even all of the above.

The National Art Library never really removes anything from their collection, so space is a precious commodity. To maximize this resource, they have started shelving books by size. Incidentally, this is also how Amazon stores things in their warehouse. I wonder if that's where they got the idea from?

Each year in August, the library closes for two weeks so that they can work on projects, and maintain the collection. I am sooo jealous of that. Honestly, that sounds like just the best thing in the world to  me, and I sincerely wish we could do that at my library. When she said that, I immediately started wondering if they have any job openings.

They have 25 staff members and they even held a program for children recently and are considering hosting more. I could be that person for them! I could plan and develop programming for children!! Must figure out where to send my resume...

I also love love loved the fashion exhibit at the V&A. Without a doubt, my favorite museum!

No comments:

Post a Comment